Sunday, September 27, 2015

M E A L. P L A N N I N G : week one



I was getting so bored with what I was making for dinner. Always running out of things that I needed or throwing away food that had gone bad, I was determined to become a better cook. I didn't think I would like it, and it sounded so daunting to me, but meal planning has saved me so much time and money it is ridiculous. Every weekend I sit down with a piece of paper and I sketch out my menu for the week. I actually enjoy it! Taking note of everything I have left in the fridge and pantry, I use those things as a guide. The goal is to waste as little as possible, but also eat enjoyably. I like to use a lot of plant proteins, but I don't shy away from meat. I get a lot of joy out of roasting a hunk of meat in the oven, and also it is quite a skill to be able to cook meat well. No one likes their chicken dry and burnt. If that sounds like you, don't be afraid to work on that skill! Learn how to braise, baste, and make a remoulade. Make things that you have never made before. If it doesn't turn out the first time, try again(as I had to do with making my own mayonnaise quite a few times). I recommend buying your food as fresh as possible. Use your local butcher and farmers to get your protein and produce. Get to know the people who grow your food. It is rewarding, and also I cannot lie to you...the eggs in the grocery store taste nothing like the eggs from the hens that my mother raises.

Here is this week's menu:
Sunday
breakfast- oatmeal pancakes smothered in butter and real maple syrup with red grapes(complements to my husband for helping with this meal-I'm under the weather currently)
lunch- grilled cheese sandwiches with homemade whole wheat bread + apple slices
dinner- couscous cakes with grilled veggies and salad

Monday:
breakfast- omelette with toast and fruit
lunch- leftovers
dinner- ramen bowls with boiled eggs and peas in homemade bone broth

Tuesday:
breakfast- waffles with apple compote and peanut butter 
lunch- egg salad sandwiches and sliced veggies
dinner- pepperoni pizza and salad with balsamic dressing

Wednesday
breakfast- oatmeal and breakfast smoothies
lunch- leftover pizza and veggies
dinner- lentil dahl with homemade naan bread

Thursday:
breakfast- eggs and toast with fruit
lunch- leftover Dahl
dinner- sweet potato hash with sausage and kale

Friday:
breakfast- toast with peanut butter and banana
lunch- leftover hash topped with fried egg
dinner- quinoa cakes with roasted squash and avocado

Saturday:
breakfast- french toast with yogurt and fruit
lunch-leftover quinoa cakes
dinner- roasted red pepper soup with crusty bread

There you have it! For snacks we do things like, popcorn, homemade banana bread, banana ice cream, homemade granola bars, chia pudding, nuts, and seeds. Next weekend I'll include a few recipes with the post. Let me know if anything sounds delicious and I can write up the recipe. 

Ok. Going to go finish season 5 of Portlandia while I blow my nose a billion times. 
 
Much love and happy cooking...
-a


No comments:

Post a Comment

merci.